Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Cricket VS Football.... The Argument Continues.......

I always felt that cricket was THE game that anyone could come across. I never got to the heck of understanding why it is not the most popular sport on planet earth. I have watched cricket non stop right from the benson and hedges triangular series in 1992 in australia prior to the BIG tournament. Indo-Pak matches have been the best source of adrenaline for me.

Then came the advent of espn and star sports into our lives and I came to know that some stupid game where 22 guys fight for one ball was the most popular and most watched game in the whole world. They call it football. I was never able to understand how ppl could withstand one and a half hour of torture where sometimes all the guyz did was to keep kicking the ball anywhere but near the goal post just to make sure that the other team guys didn't get to have the ball.

I dreaded the game and all its fans too. Early this year i got some forwards containing pics of the new stadiums in germany that had been built to host 2006 football world cup. I was just astonished at the amount of enginerring and effort that these guys had put in to make these state of art stadiums. Only then did i start wondering "What makes this sport so passionate ?". We are as passionate about cricket in India but we still have to put up with stadiums where there are no adequate drain facilities also in case of rain.

I recd one more fwd where they had built a bridge in germany in the shape of Oliver Khan trying to save a kick. I said "ok, so me going to watch this yrs world cup, appadi enna than irukkunu patte aaganum". When i saw ballack play against ecuador, even me, a total illiterate about the game of football, could see that he was a great player. Man, I realised what major level football was all about. It was germany for me all the way from there, too bad that they lost to italy in the last moments of the extra time but their match with argentina was the best professional match i had seen in the whole tournament.

So me geared up EPL, Hey wait, when is the champions trophy in India.........

Come what may, Cricket will be the game for me, Football has to wait until i have relished every aspect that this religion in India has to offer.

1 comment:

Venky said...

Machaan! Engayo poita da! Enna dhaan sollu Cricket cricket dhaan.. I still don't understand how ppl could withstand one and a half hour of torture where sometimes all the guyz did was to keep kicking the ball anywhere but near the goal post just to make sure that the other team guys didn't get to have the ball!!!